Take ONE Step to Protect Loved Ones from SHS Exposure
Knowing and understanding the dangers of secondhand smoke (SHS) exposure will help you create safe breathing environments as well as inform parents of the risks, myths, and preventive measures regarding SHS and aerosols (3).
- Smoke outside, away from windows, doors, and children
- Don’t allow smoking at any time or place children will be present (home, car, etc.)
- Teach children how to stay away from secondhand smoke
- Model a tobacco and smokefree lifestyle
- Implement a smokefree house/property policy
- Be honest with young people about how difficult it is to quit smoking and encourage them not to start
If you’re ready to change your tobacco use, check out these support resources.